Friday, September 05, 2008

Everything I have learned, I learned from a child...

I have learned so much since having children that I thought I already knew. My children constantly challenge me in my faith and in my knowledge, not to mention my explanation skills.

Since Sam was 3 he has wondered about Heaven and how to get there because he was so close to his great grandma when she died in 2004. When she passed we told him that great grandma was in Heaven watching down on us and most likely playing checkers with Jesus (my mom told him this one) and he quickly spoke up and said.."No she isn't, she is in that box!" My heart sunk and I had to try and explain to him how even though she was in the coffin, her heart and mind were with Jesus. This was of course followed by more questions like, "How do I get to Heaven" Remember...3 year old here!. I had to do my own searching to find the answers for him...I didn't want to be the one that gave him the wrong answer about eternity. He wanted to go see her now and often cried anytime someone mentioned her (he is still a little sensitive about it). He once told my mom that you take Route 7 and then 23 and then you are there...his directions for Heaven.

So today I had to teach Josh the same sort of lesson....As we were driving down the street we passed a cemetery and he said "Is that how you get to Heaven...you have to go there first?" Uh...no...Uh...Yes...I told him that after we die we become invisible and we go to see Jesus. So he said...so is Heaven in the dirt?! (don't laugh he was serious!)

Luckily the questions stopped there but he always says...I miss great grammy and gramps (his name for my dad). He only has pictures to remind him of grammy but I think he always understood Samuel's grief and thought it should be his too.

I am sure the older they get the harder the questions and the more I am going to have to study to answer them. So say a prayer for me...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What we don't learn from a child. I remember wondering about some things when I was a child. I still wonder what Heaven will be like, but as long as we are in this world our minds can't comperhend the glory and beauty of heaven. But it takes a life time for Jesus to prepare a place for us. So we waite until Jesus is ready for us. Until then we try to enjoy everything that God has let us have and do down here. I will be praying for you that God will give you the right answer's at the right time. I believe God is going to use them in a spacial way for his glory. Love,and prayers, Grandma

Anonymous said...

Both boys are sensitive and deep thinkers. I can hear Joshua now saying " mop, mop" then leaning in real close in my face and saying real quietly and serious, "did you know I am going to be invibible one day?" His way to Heaven will be a little more difficult when he describes it to me. He'll say "mop, you go there, and then he will describe it and you stay there until you get invibible and then OUT of the dirt you go to Heaben."

He and Sam are special little boys who are curious and seem to get the point and they grasp the information. For 4 and 7 they are bright guys.

Praying for you and know you will have the answers when you need them.

Love you
mom