Thursday, March 15, 2007

GROCERY COUPONS!!!

So I figure the title will get a few of you reading because I know for a fact that there are a few stockpilers and couponers in our midst. I have to say that this whole concept is new to me and I would have never tried it had it not been for my sister-in-law and her closet of anything and everything you can imagine and most of them were free or almost free. So I set out on adventure that has turned into a bit of an "game" (some true couponers will understand why I call it a game). Anyway...this month has been extremely nice to me and so tonight I was explaining this new passion of mine to a few people and they asked how much I have save this month and I couldn't give a number so I came home and did a little math. Not granted this is not an average month for shopping because I was building up my stockpile and our Kroger's had super double coupons (doubling 1.00 up to 2.00), so here are the numbers
Out of Pocket $340.72
Total Savings $537.67

mfg coupons
$167.15

coupons doubled
$144.13

Kroger Plus Savings
$226.39
Percent of Savings 60.60%
Items Purchased 294

Now this is not just the bulk kind of things...included in these totals are pop, milk, bread, hot dogs, mac and cheese, diapers (essentials for kids) laundry detergent, cleaning supplies and a lot of medicine for colds and flu and a lot of other things that we need or use on a daily basis. But on the bulk side of what I was getting for my buck was 20+ boxes of cereal (now with dates on them so I know which ones to use first), 15 boxes of toothpaste, 10+ deodorants for me and 10+ deodorants for Wayne plus I have about 15 bottles of shampoo and enough toilet paper that I could wrap the world twice.
The neatest thing about this "game" is getting free or almost free stuff. Like I will never pay another dime for toothpaste (that would be paying TOO much). The reason for the incredible amount of cereal is because cereal is one of the items that always seems to be on sale and for under .50 a box with a coupon. So those are just a few examples and I feel I can type about this because my sister-in-law doesn't have a blog and she can't show me up in all of her savings.

That is it. OH one more thing...AFRICA HERE WE COME. We are making plans to go to Africa and we are excited about what God has in store for us there. We are going with an open mind and an open heart and so much excitement. I can't wait. We will be going in October.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

One day you and Kristena will be opening a franchise called Coupon's for Success. We will see both of your pictures and your big coupon books all over the newspapers with Headlines saying, coupon queens clean out store nothing left on shelves but the clerks rubbing their foreheads wondering what just happened. Ha

I think it is great and thrifty.

Love ya

Mom

PS, can you shop for me?

Anonymous said...

You are the woman!!! I am so proud of you!! I just wish I had the urge to do something like that but at my age, I hate to grocery shop and I just want to get in and out as fast as I can!! And then we don't use that many groceries now that our kids are all out on their own. Especially when you eat out almost every night. OH well, my hat goes off to you!!
love ya,
Marsha

Sarah said...

Hmm...should I be worried that you have actually been keeping track of all the bargains you gotten?? Well, good for you!! If I ever need deodorant....which I seriously doubt, or toothpaste...umm...nope, got that too. The toilet paper I might come over for. :) Or diapers...we might come over for that!!! I enjoy the couponing, but I have seriously slacked off...I haven't bought a newspaper in two weeks!!! How awful! :0 But anytime you have a coupon for a free movie, or clothes at Lane Bryant, or Target, take me along!!!

You go girl! And I'm glad to see you still have your arms! :)
Sarah

Anonymous said...

I believe that I will go shopping at the Queen"s coupon's Store. I'm so blessed to have a Grand-daughter that is so thrifty. You will be rewarded in so many ways as you use these items. Hope your well, we will be talking to you. Love you and your family. Grandma Have a wonderful week end.

Kelley said...

That's awesome, Kim! I have thought about doing it, but just being one person, I end up throwing a lot of things away because I don't get it used before it goes bad. The household items though, would be a good thing. I hate spending money on shampoo and toothpaste. :) I'll be praying for your trip to Africa. That's so exciting! Love ya!