Sunday, October 28, 2007

Once in a lifetime...

That is the statement I have used the most in the last 2 weeks. We just returned from SOUTH AFRICA!!! I said several times to Wayne...Can you believe we are in AFRICA?!? It was absolutely wonderful and amazing. Someone asked me this morning at church if I could describe it in one word and I said amazing but I was thinking perspective. I know a strange word but it is a honest summary. It put everything into perspective for me. I met the most amazing people who love God and who have this overwhelming desire to get anyone and EVERYONE saved. They believe in reaching people by going out to the people and not waiting for the people to come to them. I think sometimes the church (church as a whole) builds the building in hopes that they will come...(Field of dreams mentality). These people are also the happiest people I have met and they have little or no material things. I was shocked when the "Rev" (Chuck Lockard, the missionary leader there) said that the ladies in the kitchen make about 100 Rand a month. A MONTH! I know you are thinking what is a Rand...well it 6.5 to 1 of the dollar so 100 Rand is about 17.50. OUCH~~ They do live on the campus and they get their food there but all of their clothes, kid's clothes and all their personal items have to come out of that money. After hearing it I was at the grocery store and saw that the paper plates were 16 rand and I started thinking...what a waste. We as Americans are so spoiled, we buy tons of things we don't need and we are always saying if I had a little more of this or that...then I would be happy. The people of South Africa don't have that desire...they are HAPPY because they are saved and sanctified and loved by God and they will tell anyone who will listen. We also had an opportunity to go to a baby sanctuary (orphanage). Most of the babies there are HIV positive and abandoned by their moms before they are even named. The lady that started this orphanage currently has 12 kids in her care, more every week. This was probably the hardest part of the trip for most of us. These kids are abandoned on a daily basis or their parents have both died of AIDS. Rev said that in 2010 South Africa's HIV crisis will peak and the amount of children left without parents will be at its all time high. But as the Rev's wife, Ann Marie said...at least the mothers didn't abort the babies or dump them somewhere. I will let the pictures do the talking about the kids....they were adorable....I LOVED Boyki...The boy with the glasses.
We also had the privilege of going on a safari and we were truly blessed. The guide was so impressed that we got to see as many animals as we did. He said it was the best he had seen in the 6 years he had been giving tours. We saw elephants, female lions (who chase a warthog), giraffes, zebras, and ONE TOTALLY AWESOME male lion. He walked down over the hill while we are looking at the giraffes out the other side of our safari truck.

So...Needless to say we were busy and we managed to do a TON of work while were there. We spent 9 + days working on 2 cottages for the faculty which needed updating and cleaned and scrubbed and painted and remodeled and.......... They turned out wonderful and they are now ready to move into. We also helped them turn an old bar (the Nazarene Theological College land used to be an exclusive resort) into a book store. Everyone worked really well together. Sign me up to go again....

Well...I am going to bed...enjoy the pictures. I might put more out later.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was truly a once in a lifetime event. I am so glad you could experience the other side of the world. Too many times we restrict our abilities to do something good, I think it is called sacrifice. I am very proud of you and your desire to help and grow spiritually.

Thanks for letting me watch the boys.

Mom

Kelley said...

Incredible! I am so glad you're back and that it was a wonderful experience. You've inspired me; maybe I need to consider this. I think I could use a dose of perspective. Seriously! The pictures were great.

Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Awesome pictures!! I can't wait to talk to you more and get more details!
I'm glad you are back! I missed you.
Loveya,
Sarah

Anonymous said...

CAn not wait to hear the first hand account. Looks like it was all you hoped it would be. I am glad you both made it home in one piece! I love you sis!

Big John

Anonymous said...

Awesome! It sounds like you had a wonderful missions trip. Every once in a while when Matt and I start to whine about not having enough money - we say "We need to go back to ....." I really think that everyone should experience some type of mission trip (even if it is to an Indian Reservation in the US) in order to realize just how wealthy we are. The majority of Americans are truly rich compared to the rest of the world, and we act like spoiled rich kids. Your pictures were great! Thanks for sharing. Marla

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you guys made it there and back home safely. I'm kinda not feeling good, so I just wanted to say Hi and then I'll look at your pictures tomorrow!!!

Love ya!
Heather

Jason Grate- Ordinary Extraordinary- Simple Stories of Lessons learned said...

Wow. This was a great blog Kim. Seeing the pictures of the kids made me wanna take them home! (Don't tell Jason- he'd take me up on it!) Glad you're home safe, but inpsired to do it again!

Anon said...

That's really cool Kim!

We want to do that some time too.

You're my inspiration!

Anonymous said...

Kim,I'm so proud of you and Wayne for doing what you did. I loved your blog. God went before and prepared the way. I'm sure you were a blessing to all of those pleaple as well they were a blessing to you. We love you. Keep up the good work. Love Grandma