Wednesday, November 21, 2007

More of Africa...

So I feel like I didn't really get to show you all I wanted about Africa. It was an awesome experience that we could have never done without the financial support of so many that handed us $50 here or there. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. I also know that we had a ton of people praying for us while we were gone. I mostly appreciate this while we were air born. I must say that was the scariest part of the trip for me. I have never really been scared to fly but I was figuring...a lot can go wrong in 19 hrs. What I didn't know at the time was that as soon as we were on campus the "Rev" (missionary) told us that we need to be careful walking on campus that they have had king cobras. GREAT! He said to be aware of the signs, first they will see you before you see them, then they will hood up and spit at you which could blind you temporary if it lands in your eyes, then they will strike and up to 6 feet away...so be careful. WHAT!?!? So every time I left my chalet, I walked and looked. So if the snake story wasn't bad enough, he told us several stories of crime. He said that at night you don't stop at lights or your car can get hijacked at gunpoint. Good thing he didn't tell us this story as we arrived in Jo'berg because we were traveling at night. I thought we were traveling awful fast. Since being home and really reflecting on the trip I stick with my first blog about perspective. It makes me really appreciate what I have here in America. Anyway...back to sharing the trip...I have upload a few videos that I secretly took during the church services. What an experience. Enjoy. ****If the videos are dark...try opening Youtube website and viewing them from there. Just click on the words youtube in the bottom right hand corner of the video.

Give me that old time religion...


He has done great things...


Group Prayer...They prayed in our language but what a powerful thing to hear them pray to our shared God in their native language. (I wish I would have gotten this recorded)


I surrender all...This is how they ended this service with us.


This was TOO FUNNY...American Nazarenes DANCING!!!!



Here are some sermons that were preached by the students at NTC (Nazarene Theological College) (These are 6 and 11 minutes)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was so good. Made me want to be there minus the cobra's and the criminals. Good thing you didn't know that going in might have given you pause to think for at least a minute before you signed up. Ha

What a privilege and opportunity to be humbled by a group of people that are not materialistic and just want to serve God.

So glad you got to experience this opportunity.

Love the music and liked the last preacher. He seemed to be relaxed and into his message.

Can't wait to see all of you Friday

Mom

Anonymous said...

Hi, I feel cheated, as I can't get the sermons or the music. But the warning about the cobra and the warning of the crime, scared me to read about it.Ha. What an experience. And the nazarene's danceing!. It sounds like they really love and serve God. How cold is it now ? We planted flowers this evening. We had a nice day. Love all of you. Looking forward to coming home and seeing all of you. Grandma

Jason Grate- Ordinary Extraordinary- Simple Stories of Lessons learned said...

Hey! Glad to see some more posting about your trip. Awesome! You're mom' comment about cobras and criminals has me laughing.... Big surprise! Hope you guys had a great Thanksgiving and we'll see you over Christmas!