Saturday, September 02, 2006

The rest of the story...

So...my week got worse...I know hard to believe. Well not really worse but a steady bad. On Friday at 12:00, about 24 hours from taking Samuel to Urgent Care, I was back in there with Josh. That's right Josh. It seems that we have an imaginary bump in our living room that he managed to trip over. Unfortnately he didn't get his hands down in time to catch himself before his mouth bounced off the floor causing his upper lip to swell up so that the little words that we could understand are now completely muffled. The doctor didn't stitch it because she said it might be more traumtic to stitch than to just let it heal on its own and it wasn't cut on the outside of his lip. So I may be getting a visit from Children Services this week...
So that was Friday...Saturday...I woke up this morning with the hope that TODAY would be a good day...WRONG! As I said in my last post my dad is in the hospital and I figured that they were going to keep him there for awhile to see if he was going to have any more of those TIA (mini-strokes). Well they are going to keep him but not for that. I guess last night he had an MRI of his brain and this morning the neurologist came in and said that they think he has brain cancer and that the cancer is probably not only in his brain but some other places in his body. So they ordered a CT of the rest of his body but the results will probably not be read until Tuesday since this is a holiday weekend and after all no one is supposed to get sick on a holiday....
GREAT!!! So tonight while I was there they gave him his first dose of steriods and a shot of insulin for his diabetes. I guess the steriods will make your sugar go up so they put him on insulin shots starting today. They believe that the TIAs were not those at all but rather seizures from the brain cancer. So...he hasn't said too much about how he is feeling except that he has that kind of "put out" sound to his voice like most of us would...that this is not what he was planning for at all and it sucks. He said today that he isn't even scared to die but he doesn't want to become a vegatable. He is more worried about that than anything. Our family has had the unfortnate experience of watching 2 uncles die of brain cancer/tumors. I can't blame him for feeling that way. I am scared too...I don't want to see him like that either. It is bad enough that he is slurring his words now and he doesn't even hear it. The worse thing about all of this is that he isn't a Christian and I don't know how to approach him about it...I don't want to ask him to talk to the pastor because I know he will think that I think he is dying. Please say a prayer for me and for him and for all of us...we will need it.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

praying for you now and always!! I'm here for you, whenever, whatever, however. Life is just happening right now. such a cycle it is. But God gave us friends for a reason. He never gives us more than we can handle and he made chocolate and ice cream...just a couple of things to help things along.
I'm sorry all of this is happening, but maybe it's just to help you appreciate your life here and now. Enjoy what you have while you have it. And don't be afraid to talk to your dad. If he's gonna be in the hospital for a while, he'll have plenty of time on his hands. Give him a bible or get some tapes of your favorite services. And Pastor Mark is a great one to just talk to and see what he would suggest.
You're on my mind, in my heart and in my prayers,
Sarah

Anonymous said...

I appreciate Sara's advice and some of her remedies of chocolate and ice cream are winners in my book. I believe they call that comfort food.
If you ask the pastor to stop in to see your dad and have prayer he will appreciate it. You know I am here for you and the boys. I love you all very much.

mom

Anonymous said...

Kim,
I'm so sad to hear about your dad. I just can't believe to hear of yet another family getting this diagnosis. Please talk to Pastor Mark, he is wonderful and definately will be able to advise you on this. I'm praying hard for you. And I'm giving you a big hug right now!!!
Love ya!
Bren

Jason Grate- Ordinary Extraordinary- Simple Stories of Lessons learned said...

Kim-I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. Life is just hard to figure out sometimes, isn't it? I will pray for your dad and peace for you. Hang in there!

Kelley said...

Kim,
I'm praying for your dad and you all as you go through this. Please know that HE is Greater than our Need. Cling to Him! I love you.