Wednesday, August 15, 2007

So if you read my mom's blog you know that we had a very busy weekend. I was in charge of your family reunion this year for the Grate Family, mainly because NO ONE likes to do it and I thought that I would plan something for the younger generation. So after being elected as president last year, I went searching the internet for the perfect spot...I found it Hocking Hills Family Fun Center, mini-golf, sand volleyball, go-karts, and canoeing for all. It couldn't get much better. So I called and got our names on the books cause I figured they were probably booked for months in advance...luckily they had an opening. So then as the time approached I made out 70+ invitation with the address for the Family Fun Center from their very well put together website and sent them out. I called about a week later to confirm our reservation for the shelter house and found out that the address on the website was for their canoe livery and corporate office. WHAT? I thought the canoe livery was at the fun center. NO...it was six miles away and the address on all of my invitation where off by six miles. I told the lady that I spoke with about my disappointment in their website giving the wrong information to which she said...well it is only six miles away. Like if anyone had shown up they would have piled out of cars only to have to pile back in and drive to the "FUN CENTER" which was situated on a lovely hill that required a monster truck to climb. It went straight up. So as I drove up the hill to our lovely fun center... I about had a heart attack...YIKES...The place hadn't been used in 10 years or more!!! See the pictures below.

These are the brochure pictures of the FAMILY FUN CENTER...



THIS IS WHAT WE GOT!
I never knew that you could MOW a sand volleyball court but they did. When we questioned where it was at, they said...we will send "LeRoy" out to mow it. GEEZ!!! Despite all of the miscommunication, we did have almost 50 people (but I did see a couple of cars come and go and it could have been family leaving, can't prove it). It all turned out wonderful. The next day, Sunday, we went to another family reunion, The Hersman reunion. This is the second year in a row that we have went since I was in high school. The reason is...the Grate reunion used to be on Sunday and well...it was always the one that we knew everyone at. The thing I enjoy the most about this reunion, other than the food, is the pictures. Some of you know that I am a bit obsessed with ancestry stuff and they have pictures from every reunion since 1963-present in photo albums. So this year I took my digital camera and snapped a few pictures of my great grandparents that I didn't have.



Other than all of the reunions...we made a trip to Indianapolis that same night and back in Ohio by Monday at 2 so Wayne could go to work. We are starting this business in a big way...more on that later. I am also in the process of planning the popcorn festival parade float for our church...all of this AND...the doctor told me last week that she thought I might have a brain aneurysm or AVM so I had to have an MRI on Friday or it could be a blocked artery in my neck so today I had an ultrasound on my neck. She also said it could be nothing. So far the MRI is clear and Tom will be happy to know that the doctor doesn't "see" anything there. I am waiting for the other test which is suppose to be read by Friday. WHO KNOWS!!! This all started because I have had this obnoxious swishing sound in my ear that is about to drive me crazy.
Sorry for such a long blog. I could write all night and still not get everyone caught up on what is going on .

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The pictures tell it all. Great blog and we, especially me are so glad that so far the tests are good. The alternative was rather daunting. Although the fun center was a dud it was still a good time and we had some who haven't been there in years.

Can't wait to see the float..

Love ya, mom

Anonymous said...

You did a great job on the reunion, you can't be held responsible for the changes that have taken place. It is sad that people do false advertising but hey, it happens! I enjoyed myself alot and just being with family is what it is all about! Plus ours is GREAT!! We are praying for you!
Hang in there!
Love ya
Marsha

Anonymous said...

It was a GREAT REUNION ! There was a good number there. And we had a good time. I loved the Auction. You had some really nice things to bid on. And getting to see everyone was what it is all about and hear someone say, "O you don't look a bit older" We know their eye sight is worse then last year, Ha ,Ha. It was a good reunion. And the Hersman reuion was fun also. There was a good crowd there also. It was so hot that it was good to get in the air conditioned cars and start home. What a wonderful weekend with all our relatives. We will look forward to next year. And good pictures, Kim, We are praying that your test will be OK.Love, Grandma

Kelley said...

Sorry I missed it! The pictures cracked me up. That is just wrong. See you in Sept!

Jason Grate- Ordinary Extraordinary- Simple Stories of Lessons learned said...

Sorry we missed all the fun! I can't believe the fun center, seriously funny. Hope all continues to be OK with your tests...Geesh- kinda scary! We'll keep you in our prayers!

Anonymous said...

Sand on sand volleyball courts are highly over rated. But from what mom said it was fun and she was thrilled she did not have to sit in a porta pot in the heat to take a leak.(hey I think that rhymes). You know I am praying that the swishing sound is just one of the many voices getting louder. Anyway we love you and can not wait until we all can get together and make mom wet herself again.

Love ya sis!