Saturday, August 19, 2006

Pay Attention

My friend recently gave me this really neat book called "Furry Logic" and it has some really cool sayings it. I was trying to think of a post for tonight since I said I would try to do better at posting more frequently. I ran across this.."The quickest way for a parent to get their child's attention is to sit down and look comfortable." It is SO true.
I never understood why my mom would sit in the bath tub for hours with the door closed and locked, it was to keep us out and give her a minute or two to herself. Or how annoying it is to try to talk to someone on the phone and have your kids think of everything that they have been waiting to tell you. Samuel will spend two hours watching cartoons in the playroom and Josh is busy playing in the playroom and then I think...I will call Sarah...AND BOOM, they are in the living room with me or running up and down the hallways screaming or jumping on the couch. I think as soon as they hear me talking they assume I am talking to them...of course if I say their name they don't hear that!

Moving on...Kindergarten starts in 2 days. Technically about 35 hours but who is counting. I am getting more anxious everyday and I don't really know why. He seemed completely comfortable at his kindergarten orientation. I stood there watching him as he sat quietly and as he listened to the teacher and did as she said. I hope he keeps up this trend when school actually starts. He seemed to be about the only kid actually listening but maybe that is because I watching him more than the other kids. I didn't realize how expensive this kindergarten stuff can be...not only did we have to provide 2 bottles of glue, a pair of scissors, new gym shoes but they had on there 2 boxes of Kleenex. Now I was thinking 2 small boxes of Kleenex...but NO every kid brought those big boxes of Kleenex. So now the classroom has enough Kleenex to coat the whole ceiling in the cafeteria with spit balls. Then they asked each kid to bring a package of napkins, which I am assuming is for snack time...which is something else we have to bring...a snack once or twice a month. Here is one that I really think should be the responsibility of the school...headphones for each child. Don't they have an expense account for that. Sorry to all of you in the school system but this is getting ridiculous. I have heard that next year's list includes chalk and dry erase markers (nothing like stocking the teachers supply cabinet). By junior high he might have to bring his own desk and laptop and the teacher will be on CD-rom.

So that is it for tonight...tomorrow I am church hopping. Getting drunk on Jesus juice at not only my church but I am taking off after SS to go watch grandma sing at her church. Then tomorrow afternoon I am going with some girls from Sunday school class to a pottery class in Delaware, I can't wait. They decided to throw a birthday party for themselves. I will let you know tomorrow if we had fun...I know we will though.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember telling each of you when I got home from work. "don't ask me what we are going to eat, where we are going, when we are going, how we are going and when we will be home" I will answer all those questions after I go to the bathroom. While I am in there I am really not home and my name is not mom. I figured a half hour was a reasonable time to remain anonymous. The same with being on the phone, I would say please be quiet while I talk.
It never worked but it was worth the effort as I felt I had tried to put a plan in place, everything important needs a plan.
One day you will wish kids were jumping off the couch, yelling your name when the house is so quiet you turn the TV on just to hear another voice.
Love you a lot and Sam will do fine,remember he said he would do what he was told even if he was smarter than the teacher because that is what Jesus wants him to do.

mom

Anonymous said...

Well, I just posted a really nice long post and hit the wrong button and it deleted all of it. Boy am I ticked!! I know Sam will do fine in school, he is so smart and serious for his age. I am sure he will come home with alot of stories of how bad the other kids act. Can't wait to hear some of them!! Just enjoy these years. The quiet years get here all too soon!!
Love,
Marsha

Sarah said...

Well, you know how my kids are when I get on the phone. As soon as the conversation is started, they flock towards me. And usually one of them gets hurt and can't help but scream, ie Jamie. Or someone needs a drink or wants to watch a movie. I'm looking forward to "missing" those days. Yeah right!
We went to our open house tonight....and yeah, the tissue thing, wipes, and snacks were a little ridiculous. It wasn't very organized and honestly I could have not gotten any of those things and how would they know?? I didn't get snacks, so I still have to do that. I only hope the school year goes well. And we'll see how expensive it really is. I think they're holding out, because we didn't need to get all the extra stuff like you did.....we'll just get a bill later, probably. :)