Thursday, November 16, 2006

And life goes on...

It is weird to me how everyone else's life seems to be moving along when mine seems to have slowed way down and everything takes on a whole new meaning. As mentioned in many of my other blog entries, my dad has terminal cancer. We were told on September 1st that the cancer from 2 years ago that he had in his lung (which they said they got it all) had re-occured in his brain and liver. At the time the doctors told him he would have a good 2 years to enjoy his family and even though that didn't seem like long, it was a lifetime when you consider the type of cancer. Well...the 2 years has turned into 2-6 months because the radiation that they did on his brain cancer didn't really shrink the tumors that much and his brain can not handle anymore radiation unless it was very direct doses on the tumors. This was the option that was offered to him this past weekend as he lay in Riverside but with the warning that EVEN IF they did the radiation it might not help and if it did help, it would not increase his life span significantly. The only help that he could get from this type of radiation would be that the seizures that he had for over 2 days could subside, but no guarantee. And the chemo that he was having for his liver was not going to increase his life span either...so the decision was made. No more treatments. Not a decision by us his family but by him. Not an easy decision to make or one that anyone would want to make. Is it really considered giving up? I personally didn't want to him to have any more treatments because they wore him out and knocked his white blood cells so low that he could die from a common cold. So I can hope and pray that the little bit of time he has he can build back up his energy and with the right cocktail of drugs he can be as comfortable he can be and maybe he can enjoy the little amount of time he has left with his grandkids and family. Someone asked me if he was a Christian tonight. Our pastor came down to the hospital and prayed with my dad and asked him if he was right with God and my dad said that he was ready and at peace. So if you ask me today I have to say "yes". I told that person that maybe God has a bigger book than me. By my standards he isn't ready but who am I to step in between a relationship between God and my dad. Maybe God has a smaller book...one with less rules and more grace than any of us can wrap our minds around. MAYBE...just MAYBE. I want to thank everyone for their prayers during this time and for times to come. It is a rough road and seemingly narrow road that we must walk sometimes but with our eyes on the cross we will never get lost. Thank you Jesus for opening my eyes and letting me see you even in the darkest times and giving me the strengh I have needed to be there for my dad.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel rather helpless and wish with everything in me that the three of you did not have to go through this. I just know that God put you in a church and worked in your life so you would be prepared for something like this. So our faith has to dictate that whatever your dad is able to understand he has indeed made peace. Habits die hard and he is full of medication making his thought process slower. Hopefully the pastor will continue to visit and share with your dad and you can be assured of his salvation. For now we will believe.
You are one special lady and God will richly bless you for your faithfulness.
No mother could be prouder than I am.

As always I love you
mom

Anonymous said...

Kim, I just read your blog and as always amazed how God broadened you understanding and how He helped you to put it in words. Isn't it wonderful to know God and how he conforts as and is there all the time whether we need him or not.I love you and am very proud of you both. I'm setting here waiting for you to drive in our driveway. Love, Grandma

Anon said...

Praying for you Kim.

Jason Grate- Ordinary Extraordinary- Simple Stories of Lessons learned said...

Praying for you and all involved. Will see you in a couple days...