Friday, November 03, 2006

I must be doing something right....

So tonight was interesting....
I was driving to Columbus tonight to have dinner with my mom (This experience I will save for another post), Samuel and I had a really good conversation. He was looking up in the sky and saw the moon and said, "That moon reminds me of great-great grammy" Now if you have read my other posts you will know that he has been greiving her death for 3 years TODAY...(yikes I just realized it is the anniversary of her death, which makes his statement even more shocking). I was taken back by his statement...but what he said next..."Mom, how do I know I will get to Heaven to see grammy?" Wow...what a question. I told him that he needed to ask God in his heart and that he needed to live a good life and go to church and I was rambling on and on...I said we need to continue listening and praising God through the songs that we were listening too...for instance I said..Evermore I will trust him...evermore I will love him....(part of the song at the time)...I heard him in the back seat quietly say "Dear God, evermore I will trust you, evermore I will love you" and then he said "Is that it?" I said you have to ask God to take away your sin and to come in your heart. So he added that to the end of his prayer and then said "Amen". WOW this kid amazes me. So then he asked a question that I have asked for 30 years..."How do I REALLY know that I am going to Heaven?" Explaining the other parts of this seemed so simple but when it comes to the faith part...I have a harder time. I think I did my best. So then he said..."You know...tomorrow I have Safety city again at school..." That innocent childhood faith, making it so simple and to the point and then moving on.
I thought that the conversation was over but on the way home he must have been thinking...he said....Mom...has Kaitlyn (his cousin) ever prayed that prayer to Jesus...will she be going to Heaven with me? Then he said "You know...if she does then she will get to Heaven before me because she is older" I had to laugh. The whole ride home was filled with singing...him telling me not to sing certain parts because they were the guys parts and that I was girl and I was to only sing the girls part. He did say that he was going to share his new found faith tomorrow at school with his teacher so I can't wait until parent-teacher conference next week so she can fill me in. Below is my sweet Samuel looking up to his God!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is indeed an old soul. God has a plan for him and right now it must be pretty spectacular. He is one special boy always has been. You did a good job. Problem with us is we make life way to complicated and so hard when it is really so simple.

I am anxious to spend time with the two guys.

Love mom

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! He is just so amazing!! And you are a great mom!! He is so deep in his thinking for a child. I am always blown away by his questions and insight! He is one special little guy!! you are one lucky mom!!
Love,
Marsha

Anon said...

Awww. Great pic.

Jason Grate- Ordinary Extraordinary- Simple Stories of Lessons learned said...

Little Sam...what a little sweetie. Hope to see you all in a few weeks for Thanksgiving?