Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Why do we need to read it?

That was the question this week at church...Why do we need to read the bible? Is there really anything in there that pertains to me and my life in the year 2007? Why?
Here is why:

2 Timothy 3:15-17 (New International Version)

15 and how from infancy you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. 16All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Tonight at choir practice we had a wonderful demonstration of how even just one page of the bible pertains to us. The person in charge of the devotional handed out a single page from different parts of the bible to every person that was present and asked each of us to read through and see if we find anything that pertained to us. It was amazing to hear people read an excerpt from their page and how it met there need or spoke directly to their heart. I have been diving lately in my bible for answers that I always looked elsewhere for and I have been reminded time and time again that the answer is right there. I have mentioned in one other blog that I looked several times at Psalms 139 and it has helped me through so much that God knows me and understands me when no one else seems to. He knows when I sit or stand...when I am near to him or when I am straying. He is there all the time. So why the bible...because it not only holds a ton of truths but it has some really wonderful and comforting things to say when we seem to be struggling the most.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was nice to read so early this morning. It is also comforting to know that you have made a choice to find the scripture and apply it to your life. I know the struggle sometimes seems overwhelming but I know a God that is always there no matter what when some of us sometimes are not. I love you Kim

Mom

Anonymous said...

You continue to amaze me! I enjoyed reading your post and must admit that you stepped on my toes a little. I need to read my Bible more no doubt about it!! Thanks for challenging all of us to have a closer relationship with God!! I appreciate you so much!
Love ya,
Marsha

Kelley said...

what a great reminder! I definitly struggle in this area and need to be more faithful.

Anonymous said...

A little 91 or 92 year old lady quoted that 139th. Psalm in our Bible study, as a prayer. She was amazing. It is a wonderful Psalm. I too am helped by your desire to live close to the Lord. And your blogs make me want to read the scripture more. And pray more to draw closer to the Lord. Love, Grandma