Monday, May 08, 2006

On a serious note...(B flat). I was talking to a few of you at church yesterday about including in my blog the sermon and the sunday school lesson so we could have an open discussion. So here it is. (Disclaimer: this is what I took away from both)
The sermon as always gets me thinking and yesterday was no exception. The pastor spoke on reaching the poor and giving to the poor what we can give. We all make the mistake of complaining about being "poor" in our standards but when we look at ourselves and what we have we have so much we don't even know what to do. I look at my kids room as an example of having more than we need. I thought a lot about what could I be doing. I was shocked to hear the pastor last night say that he would like to open the Outreach Center on Sunday mornings for breakfast during the services for the "less fortunate" because that was what I was thinking of approaching the pastor about. Well my idea was a soup kitchen but his idea was bigger than mine. I know we all struggle though life with this or that debt but as the pastor has said, "It could be worse" and "It all goes back in the box". The "It all goes back in the box" sermon, for those of you who don't attend our church, was talking about how we should be playing our life as if it were the monopoly board game. We work during that game and in our lives to obtain more money, more power, more property and things but at the end of the game it all goes back in the box and then someone else gets to play the game. The only thing that we need is to live our lives as God would have us live it. I have personally used that saying a few times since that sermon. Our Sunday school class has been studying the book of John. We were talking this week about how Jesus was talking to Jews (Children of Abraham) about believing in His truth and that they were living for their earthly father and not Him. We talked alot about how the devil disquises himself in everyone we meet. The cool guy with the sunglasses and the seemly nice personality that has a few bad habits and he tries to sway you to believe that those things are OK and "Are you sure that your church really believes "That"? It has been really interesting for me personally to hear everyone talk about it and I look forward to more.

PS. Say a prayer for Brenda and her family. Her dad was involved in a serious car accident this morning and was life flighted to Columbus.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sit amazed that the young lady that at one time refused to go to church can now preach a sermon. You inspire me and I believe the scripture more and more that bringing a child up in the way THEY should go they will not depart from it. The key word is they, not me, not grandma, not the preacher but the way you should go. Somehow that strikes me as the way God intended we all should do, find our way. Every week you have brought to me the messages and the truths that God is giving you, it is good.

It is time to do something about those thoughts of how to help. Putting feet to the calling is just step by step.

You have given me a new lease and new committment.

Love your mom

Jason Grate- Ordinary Extraordinary- Simple Stories of Lessons learned said...

Hey Kim!!!
Sorry it took me so long to find your blog, but Jay was out of town for the weekend and had the computer. I HATE that!!! Great blog, I usually go to John's for the big laugh, now I'll be sure to go to yours, too. Give the kids a hug from me.

Sarah said...

The mysterious pastor speaks again about something we've decussed in private....he must keep microphones everywhere....or it could just be God. I can tell you that Satan is a big doubter in my life. You know that whole self conscious thing...I don't do that to myself necessarily.
And I really hope you don't get sick this week!!!
Take care and sorry we didnt come over today...I just needed to reload, take a break, etc. I'll stop going on..you know what I mean. :)
Talk to you soon!