Saturday, May 13, 2006

Well I really don't have anything exciting to report. SO I guess I will tell a few stories. Many of you have heard these before but here I go. John and I have worked for my mom over the years not just at home but she hired us as employees. (SILLY HER). Anyway we did job coaching for people with disabilities and these are a few of my more memorable days. I was working is a lady we will call "Rosemary". Well Rosemary had a Ph.D in something I can't remember. I guess all of the studying pushed her to crazy. I was asked by my boss mom to go to her house and take her out to fill out applications, I called Rosemary and told her that we were going out the next morning at 8:00. So I went to her apartment. When I arrived, she was ready alright, as ready as any crazy person could be, she opened the door in nothing but a bra and underwear. I remained calm and simply said...I don't think we can go looking like this. She was all frazzled. So I waited in her apartment with her "pycho"olgist who she had called early because she was having anxiety about going that day while Rosemary found something to wear. Now I would have thought the professional sitting on the couch would have made sure she had clothes on but it didn't seem to bother her. So we finally get on the road and we go around to fill out applications, NO BAGEL shops though, the police that are there are probably there to get her. So after a long day of hearing about her dreams of arguing with the angel of God and how Kurt Douglas was going to call her and ask her to be in a movie and her constant referral to "Jesus said I need to watch out for this or that or Jesus said you were nice" I didn't hear him talking but I think she was getting messages all the time from him, we pulled up to her apartment. I said I will see you next week and I could tell she was getting anxious again but I didn't expect her to do what she did. She looked down at her watch and said "Let's just sit here a minute" And so we proceeded to sit for a full timed minute. She opened the door and got out. Nothing more was said. I would like to say that was the last story of Rosemary but it wasn't. The next week I had to bring her to the office for my mom to have a meeting with her and discuss how things were going. Once again I picked her up (this time she was ready, clothes and all), I took her to the office. Once there my mom had me sit in the meeting with her. Rosemary was distraught over not having enough money to do anything or buy anything. She said "I don't have money for shampoo, soap, a brush, toilet paper, a douche, toothpaste....(wait did she just say what I think she said!!!) Yes... she decided that my mom and I were the perfect people to tell that she couldn't afford her feminine products. The rest of the meeting I kept my head down for fear we would start laughing out loud. You know these have to be true stories because who can make up stuff like this.

Now...on to Mother's day and in response to my brothers blog.
Thanks mom for putting me in the best coaching jobs ever. HA. You are the reason I have so many funny stories to tell. You are also the reason that I can look at every situation and have some sense of humor about it. Thank you for teaching us that if the kitchen goes up in flames...just shut the door and go out to eat. Thanks for teaching me that if you leave a curling iron on all day it will smell like someone died in the house. Thanks for teaching me to use paper and not the GOOD stuff all the time. Thanks for teaching me you can repeat anything as long as you use quotes. Thanks for teaching my kids to scream at the top of their lungs and laugh after each scream. Thanks for teaching my kids to fake cough so I can't tell when they are really sick. And finally thanks for teaching my kids that DONUTS MOP...go with every meal. THANKS...THANKS for being the best mom in the whole wor....state of Ohio. And thanks for always taking time with my kids even when you are tired from driving and working all day. Thanks for teaching me to be a good mom. I can only wish that my kids will want me around like we all want you around now. I am so proud of you for showing us that you can make it though tough times and come out semi-normal. (that is what you say about us all right, semi-normal). I really do love you and I hope that you have a wonderful mother's day, well I know you will because you are coming here. You are the best and I hope I can be as good of a mother as you have been. Thanks again. AND here is an extra Thank you that I forgot on my wedding day, I LOVE YOU AND THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING ME IN ALL MY DECISIONS...(I know you didn't always like the decisions but you let me be my own person).

I will write more later. I have a baby who has learned how to take his diaper off and I have to go put a new one on with DUCT tape around the waist.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kim,
I appreciate the kind words and the confidence, I appreciate you including me in all the events of the boys it makes my life complete. And you're welcome for the things i have been able to share with your children. not a problem.It is good to know how to fake cough appropriately and to scream is to let out all the frustrations from the day. I really want to scream but doing it by myself would place me somewhere between a Rosemary and a Jason (another story) so it is really threraputic for me. The time I spend with them is like stepping in the past, except I can leave you with the diapers, the crying children and know you will wipe both ends. ha I am glad to have had the opportunity to introduce you to people like Rosemary, I think it was an experience that taught you to care for others who cannot help themselves and that you have so much to give. (plus you got a check)

Thanks for loving me and caring about me.

your mom

Jason Grate- Ordinary Extraordinary- Simple Stories of Lessons learned said...

Duct tape...does that work? I thought I'd try to start potty training with Zeke a few days ago. Yeah, that went over like a lead balloon!!!! He peed all over the couch, the blanket, and himself.