Monday, May 15, 2006

What an interesting mother's day my mom and I have had. I have just returned home from spending the last 2 days sitting in ICU with my mom. She decided to make this mother's day one for the books. On Sunday when I sat down beside her after sunday school she told me she wasn't feeling good and I have to say she didn't look like it either. She was kind of grey. She kept assuring me that she thought she would be fine so we sat through the choir singing and the congregation singing and then I looked over and saw that she was looking worse. She said she felt like she was going to pass out or get sick right there. So during the prayer we snuck out and got in the car but not before they called for the nurse at the church. The nurse followed us out and checked her blood pressure before I took her home (which is where we would have went). Her blood pressure was 220/110 or so. The nurse looked horrified and suggested we take her to the ER. So I drove her there and the first reading the got was 238/126. Now those of you who are not up on what normal is, it is usually 120/80. They started pumping her full of drugs, I mean lots of drugs but nothing worked. It went up in fact. 250/111. YIKES...so they decided to admit her and put a nitroglycerin drip in. Now you would think that with all the medicine and the nitroglycerin it would drop but no...it went down for awhile but climbed back up. So they scheduled a heart cath this morning and the most unbelievable thing...they said her heart was completely heathly as well as the arteries running to her kidneys. So...what does that mean. She will be in there until they can get this under control. So far it looks like it may take awhile for her body to get used to the lower pressure, it seems to be fighting it. The doctor said that she has to reduce the stress, which if you know my mom, say a big prayer for her. It also means our whole family is going on a huge diet to lose weight and support my mom in her battle to get healthier. WE LOVE YOU MOM and we are SO glad that it is nothing major. So I tell you all of this to say thank you to all of you who prayed for my mom and our family. Sorry no funny stories...maybe later we can look back and laugh but today was a sobering day and a day of reflection of where we all could be if we don't take care of ourselves.

4 comments:

Kelley said...

Kim,
I'm finally back on-line. I have been praying for you all. Give your mom a kiss for me! Love ya,
Kelley

Anonymous said...

Well, here I sit and thankful I am sitting at home. I almost didn't go to church because I was feeling bad. But Samuel came to the door to deliver a coursage for Mother's Day and looking at his proud smile and his comment "see you at church mop" I couldn't let him down. He also added that " there will be lots of them at church" pointing to my coursage.

So by going may have also saved my life. The longer I sat there the worse I felt. So God knows when we can't see beyond our own feelings. He sent a 4 year old with a big smile and loving eyes to pull me where I needed to be.

Thanks for the prayers, I am still struggling with the BP and it was never where they wanted it consistently but they let me out so continue to keep me in your prayers as I embark on the path of getting healthy by losing weight.

God blessed me with wonderful children but he made sure Kim was close to help me and make sure all my needs were met. She has been taxi driver and home delivery service. And a big thank you to Tom for buying me some magazines and puzzles to work. Although I am not sure if the stress of finding the words had anything to do with my BP Ha He came and visited and made sure I had a mic e ds coffee to top off my night. John kept in touch by phone and made sure I was ok. He communicated about the weather in Florida, kelly don't that just beat all?

So Thank you Kim, I love you and appreciate your unselfish sacrifices you have made to make sure I have my needs met.

Love mom

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jason Grate- Ordinary Extraordinary- Simple Stories of Lessons learned said...

Wow am I out of it! Keep forgetting to add your link so haven't checked it in a bit. Caught that she was sick from Kelley's blog?? Had not idea it was so serious! I'll be praying for all of you. And I'll be sure to add your link right now!