Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Friends...

I have been thinking a lot about what makes a really good friend. I wouldn't say I am expert on this topic because it wasn't until recently that I found a friend that I would consider a "best friend". I have learned over the years that you can have a lot of friends and aquaitances but only once, maybe twice if your lucky, a true best friend. When I was younger I longed for the friendship that my cousin Andrea had with Nicole and the friendship that my cousin Kelley had with Kismet, one that survives through all years and seems stronger with every year. What I admired about both of those friendships is that they didn't have to spend every waking moment talking to each other but when they did they were on the same page. They had the same likes and dislikes and any differences they might have had didn't keep them from respecting each other. I have to say that the relationships that I have recently found, came at a time when I have been trying to straighten my life out and started going to church. I think it is possible (mom you might have been right), that I was looking for friends in the wrong places. It is so nice to have christian friends and have christian families to hang out with. I am excited to watch all of our kids go up together in the church. While those relationships are very important to me, my best friend is the one person that I can call when I am feeling low and she makes me laugh or I find something funny in what she is saying even when she is not trying to. What I like most about our friendship is that we don't even have to talk to each other for a week and we can still call each other and talk just where we left off. I have never been more thankful for a friend to lean on than now since I have been going through so much with Joshua and my health. So thank you, Sarah, for being there for me and for making me laugh even when I don't feel like it. I don't always express to you how important you are to me and how much I appreciate our friendship, thanks again. To my other friends...thank you for all of you support and prayers during this time. I am realizing how important friendships are during rough times.

And to let everyone know...I have to go back in another 6 months for another mammogram (4 in less than 2 years). The next time they said they might have to do a biopsy. As far as Joshua goes...I took him today for an EEG. It was so stressful and tiring for both of us. I had to wake him up at 6:00 am (sorry Sarah I told you 5). Anyway...I had to try to keep him awake all the way to Columbus by myself and then during the test I had to hold him down as they attached about 36 electrodes to his head with glue and a mini hair dryer. I won't know the results for about 10 business days. We also have an appointment with the neurologist at the end of August. I suppose if there is something really bad that shows up, they will have us in before then. So this week has been a little busy and if I have not returned calls or called you, I am sure you all understand.

One more thing...Did you know that a fiesta taco salad from Taco Bell is 630 calories and 39 fat grams, it doesn't even measure on the weight watchers scale (sorry I had to throw that in there). So much for a salad being good for you!!!

5 comments:

Sarah said...

That was very nice of you to say, Kim. It's better than any homemade card youc could have tried to make for me. :)
Yep, life kinda sucks and gets you down sometimes...but it's nice to know you have friends that genuinely care and that will bring you food and let you know that a salad isn't really a salad from Taco Bell.
Love ya,
Sarah
BFF 4-ever! :) lol

Anonymous said...

Kim,
Sometimes I am amazed that my wisdom payed off way later in life and although it would have been less stressful if you would have tried to look elsewhere for your friends you had to discover this for yourself. But glad you gave me the credit. Ha
I too am glad that you have found these friends that are there for you. As your mom you can't talk about how frustrated you are with me to me, nor can you tell me how crazy I make you to me. Everyone needs that one person that will listen, nod their head, agree with you and two minutes later ask you " now what were you saying"?
There are many friends those who you can laugh with, cry with and just act silly with, YOU and Sarah, then there are those friends that care about you when you need something and don't pass judgement on you. They call no matter what and they ask how ya doin then they may not call again until weeks go by. Doesn't mean they don't care just different. You need a mixture of all kinds. I have been blessed to have those kinds of friends, true friends don't get angry, don't get upset if you don't call and understand when you need to be alone. Cause they love you and care. So I left Sunday thanking the Lord for sending such a mixture to you and I know that He will continue to bless you as you continue to serve Him.

You know me no quick and easy answer, kinda nice you can't get up to go to the bathroom, watch TV while I bare my soul.

Love you more than a million dollars !!

MOM

Anonymous said...

Please do not tell us any more fast food facts (calories, fat, etc.). It depresses me. ;)

I have found that it is good to have lots of different friends, and I am having a blast getting to know you. I pray that your health issues for you and Joshua will be taken care of soon. Hang in there!

Brenda

Anonymous said...

Kim, I know what you mean when you say you have a best friend. Your mother is my best friend and has always been there to listen when I need to vent and there to share in my happiness. I don't know what I would do without her!! She is the sister that I never had but always wanted!! You are so lucky to have her as your mom!! I love you guys and I am praying for you and Joshua.
Love,
Aunt Marsha :)

Kelley said...

Kim,
Friendship seems to be the topic of the hour. (Read Deb's blog) It's funny that you mentioned Kismet and I in your blog. She was here for Ladies night last night and I had a great time visiting and catching up with her. Even though we are in the same Sunday School class it seems we rarely have time to really talk. She and I definitly had our ups and downs, but it was a friendship that stood the test of time. Sue is my BEST friend and I feel really blessed to have found a friend like her. She's the kind of friend that I can TOTALLY be who I am and that's okay. She's who I call when life feels like it's crumbling down around me. I'm so glad that you have found these kinds of friends. It makes life just a little sweeter and whole lot easier to bare. I love ya!